ST is committed to protect the privacy of personally identifiable information collected from the web sites (including mobile web sites and apps) owned and controlled by STMicroelectronics International N.V. and STMicroelectronics N.V. affiliated companies (the “ST Sites”).
1. Who we are
For the purposes of data protection laws, we are the “Data Controller” in respect of the personal data provided on the website www.st.com, on the extranet myST, on smarter.st.com, on blog.st.com and stmcu.com.cn.
2. Scope and Content
3. Personal Data We Collect
ST may collect, store and use various types of Personal Data, such as:
- information about your computer, your visits and use of ST Sites (including IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views and website navigation paths) and more generally information collected through cookies and similar technologies;
- information provided when registering and completing profile details (such as, but not limited to, salutation, first and last name, email address, title or function, phone number, projects and employment or company details, country and other location details, category (e.g. journalist, investor etc. and industry);
- your subscription choices for ST email notifications, alerts and/or newsletters;
- information provided when using the services on ST Sites, or that is generated in the course of the use of those services (such as the timing, frequency and pattern of service use);
- information relating to any purchases of goods and services, or any other transactions that you enter into through ST Sites (including name, address, contact details, email address and payment details);
- information that you post on ST Sites (user name, profile pictures and the content of your posts);
- information sent to ST through ST Sites or otherwise (including the communication content and metadata associated with the communication), e.g. when you contact us using the contact forms on the ST Sites;
- information that you provide via our job search page to apply for open positions in ST; and
- any other Personal Data communicated by you to ST.
Such Personal Data may be collected from:
- you directly, when you use ST Sites, sign up for a newsletter, make a purchase, create a profile or use ST hardware/software products, attend a trade shows or events, or contact customer services;
- a third-party, when you purchase or use third party services or products that utilize or distribute ST hardware/software products; or
- other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, and social media platforms (e.g. for data such as company name, location, job title).
4. Our use of your Personal Data
ST may use your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- administer and personalise ST Sites and business for you by presenting products, marketing messages, commercial offers, and content tailored to you;
- provide you with information, services made available by ST;
- complete and fulfil purchases of products and services done through ST Sites or otherwise and execute transactions (send statements, process payments, orders, invoicing and overall manage your accounts);
- send you non-marketing commercial communications;
- share your Personal Data with other ST affiliates where appropriate to offer you a better service;
- share your Personal Data with non-affiliated third parties such as distributor or business partners so that they contact you directly or complete and fulfil purchases of products and services done through ST Sites or otherwise;
- send you email notifications that you have specifically requested, respond to your inquiries and fulfil your requests, such as to send you technical documents or whitepapers;
- send you marketing communications relating to ST and selected third party businesses that ST believes may be of interest to you, such as newsletters, in accordance with your communication preferences (you can inform us at any time if you no longer wish to receive newsletter or marketing communications);
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to any ST Sites;
- perform data analysis, audits, crime/fraud monitoring and prevention, security, improving or modifying ST Sites;
- identify usage trends, determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns, operating and expanding ST business activities;
- associate information you provide us, with other information we collect from you or about you from third parties, for marketing and analytics purposes; and
- check compliance with the terms and conditions governing the use of ST Sites.
Financial transactions are handled through ST payment services providers. You can review the providers’ privacy policies on their respective websites. ST will share information with ST payment services provider only to the extent necessary for the purposes of processing payments you make via ST Sites, refunding such payments and dealing with complaints and queries relating to such payments and refunds.
Your Personal Data are processed on the basis of at least one legitimate ground which may be, depending on the categories of Personal Data and the purposes of the processing: (i) your explicit consent (which may be withdrawn at any time), (ii) the performance of a contract with you or pre-contractual steps for a contract with you, (iii) compliance with our legal obligations or (iv) our legitimate interest (such as in running our business effectively and in improving the quality of our products and services) or the legitimate interest of the third parties to whom we transfer your Personal Data.
5. Disclosure of Your Personal Data to Third Parties
More specifically, ST may need to share your Personal Data with third parties worldwide in order to deliver services or products requested by you in your country.
Furthermore ST may share your Personal Data with a third party worldwide in the event of any contemplated or actual reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of ST business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
6. Marketing Preferences
When you visit ST Sites, register for an online account with ST or enter or make purchases through ST Sites, subscribe to a newsletter, or enter a contest or other promotion, you may receive marketing communications from ST (subject to your consent, where applicable). If you receive these marketing communications, you may unsubscribe from those marketing communications at any time. Email messages will contain instructions on how to “unsubscribe” from receiving such marketing communications.
You are always free to update your communication preferences for the marketing activities performed by ST. Thus you may accept or refuse receiving marketing-related messages from ST in the future or update your communication preferences by following the instructions included in each marketing-related message.
ST shall comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please also note however that ST may still send you important administrative and transactional messages (i.e. service notifications) in connection with a transaction, your orders, updates or notifications about products you have purchased from ST, or information about your account.
7. Retention of your Personal Data
ST will also retain Personal Data: (i) to the extent that ST is required to do so by law, or (ii) the Personal Data may be relevant to any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings, or (iii) in order to establish, exercise or defend ST’s rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk).
9. Your Rights in Relation to your Personal Data
You have certain rights under applicable data privacy laws in relation to your Personal Data, including rights to, in certain circumstances:
- request access to the Personal Data ST holds about you and be provided information in relation to that Personal Data (including the purposes for which it is processed, the recipients to whom that personal data has been or will be disclosed, how long it will be stored for, details of any automated decision-making and your right to lodge a complaint with a supervisor authority);
- request that ST amends inaccurate Personal Data about you, and to have incomplete Personal Data completed;
- request the erasure of the Personal Data ST holds about you, for example where it is no longer necessary for ST to hold the information;
- object to or restrict ST’s processing of your Personal Data (including processing for direct marketing purposes). This includes the right to opt-out of receiving further marketing emails;
- request that ST provides you with an electronic copy of the Personal Data we hold about you. To the extent it is technically feasible, ST can also transmit your Personal Data to another data controller;
- object to any decision affecting you that has been taken solely by a computer or other automated process; and
- contact the data protection supervisory authority of your country if you have any concern about the use of your Personal Data.
If any of the information that we hold about you in your myST Account is inaccurate or incomplete, you can also correct it through your myST Account. If you have any questions about this or need help, inform us at: email@example.com.
ST may need to retain certain information for back-up and record-keeping purposes, as required under applicable legal obligations, and/or to complete any transactions that you agreed prior to requesting such change or deletion (e.g. when you make a purchase or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Data provided until after the completion of such purchase or promotion).
10. International Transfers of Your Personal Data
11. Security of Your Personal Data
ST pays attention to the security of your Personal Data, and therefore ST uses various security technologies to protect it, including secure servers, firewalls and encrypted solutions and reasonable and appropriate organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect Personal Data within ST organization against unauthorized or unlawful access, alteration, disclosure or destruction.
However, transmissions over the internet are never entirely secure or error-free and ST does not guarantee the security of the information communicated to and/or from ST Sites. It is your responsibility to safeguard any password, user ID and other Personal Data while using ST Sites.
12. Minors and children under the age of 13
13. Automated decision making
ST uses software to help us better understand how you like us to communicate with you and whether you may be interested in our products and services. For example, based on our records that you have recently shown interest in a certain product, our software helps us identify related products and services that may interest you. We may then use this to contact you about these.
14. Social Computing
15. Third party websites
17. Effective date
This policy was updated on May 22nd 2018.